1. Describe the kind of life that Peter offers to his readers in this passage. What features stand out?
2. The sermon identifies apocalyptic living as living in light of how things really are, and it identifies our disposition to ignore the painful things. Can you think of some ways in which we try to buffer ourselves from the harder realities of life?
3. Sin, suffering, and the presence of God are identified as three things that can increasingly break open the curtain that keeps us from seeing things as they really are. Can you think of a time in your life in which that has happened? What was it like?
4. The sermon identifies several practices that we might take up to aid us in living in light of how things really are, including fasting, praying for the return of Jesus, and going close to others who are suffering. Can you apply at least one of these in a particular way in your life this week? What would that look like?
5. The key to living in light of the way things really are is keeping joy set before us. This is the pattern and hope that we find in Jesus. How does the person or work of Jesus encourage you right now as you consider a hard part of life you would rather ignore?
1 Peter 1:3-9
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 4 to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, 5 who by God's power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. 6 In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials, 7 so that the tested genuineness of your faith—more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire—may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ. 8 Though you have not seen him, you love him. Though you do not now see him, you believe in him and rejoice with joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory, 9 obtaining the outcome of your faith, the salvation of your souls.
The Holy Bible, English Standard Version. ESV® Text Edition: 2016. Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers.